Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Leaves they are a changin'.
And the weather is getting cold...bah! We managed to move up to NY just in time for winter, my LEAST favorite season.



On a completely differant note, I have been thinking about my jewelry lately. Since we've moved up here, I have been making some pieces, and as I was taking pictures the other day to update my ETSY store, I realized I was profoundly unhappy with the direction my jewelry has been going. They are not BAD pieces, mind you...just not what I picture in my head when I think about my "style" of jewelry crafting. After some thinking I realize what the problem is. Back in PA I had my own glass studio. If I needed a bead in a certain size/shape to complete a piece, I could just go make it.



Granted, even after a year, I was still a VERY beginnner glassworker. Glass takes a very long time to learn and become proficient with. But still, now I have very generic beads, and in turn I am putting out very generic jewelry. Obviously, right now I have neither the time nor space to recreate my studio from PA.


I happened to be browsing some of my favorite bead websites when I saw this catalog cover piece:





THIS looks like what I want to be able to put out! Something COMPELETELY unique, stylized and vibrant. I found out this is mostly made with polymer clay...so I've ordered some lol. I know that I'm back to square one, learning a new medium...but I need to be able to express my own style in my jewelry if I am ever going to be happy with it. Plus, clay is much more space and time friendly than glass. Now comes the hardest part, waiting for the delivery from the beadsite! (always the worst part!)

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I COMPLETELY understand how you feel! It is the worst feeling in the world to be working creatively in a direction you don't like. I think you will love polymer clay-I always drool over the polymer clay books I see at AC Moore and Michaels- you can do so much with it. Keep us posted!!!! :o)

Jen

 
At 11:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.- I will get you out on Cross Country skiis this winter and I promise you, you will become a winter convert! :oD

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home